Rhythm & Words is a festival put on by Dakota County Library to explore the Twin Cities’ rich music and literature scenes through live band performances, author appearances, introductory music classes and more for kids age birth–10. This free event is Saturday from 9 a.m.–1:30 p.m. at Burnsville Performing Arts Center.
The Schedule Is As Follows:
On the Main Stage
- Eric Litwin (author) – 9–9:45 a.m. The author of Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes makes a rare Minnesota appearance. Eric Litwin will read/perform his book and talk about his experiences with Pete the Cat. A book signing follows. Book sales on-site.
- Okee Dokee Brothers – 10–10:45 a.m. Inspired by their own backyard adventures, The Okee Dokee Brothers perform fun, original music that reminds audiences of their own make-believes and treehouse-pretendings.
- Clementown – 11–11:45 a.m. Books and language come alive with music that does not talk down to kids, but rather makes them think, move and groove to a variety of musical styles and genres.
- Laura Doherty Band – noon–12:45 p.m. Armed with her acoustic guitar and an ear for a catchy melody, Chicago-based musician Laura Doherty gets kids and families movin’ and groovin’ to her original kid-friendly pop tunes.
- Bill the Juggler – 12:50–1:30 p.m. Laughter abounds at this comedy juggling program filled with audience participation and an emphasis on reading.
In the Black Box Theatre
- The Amazing Gnip Gnop Circus with Z Puppets Rosenschnoz – 9:45–10:30 a.m. Amazing Gnip Gnop Circus: Step right up and be astounded by this magnificent glow-in-the-dark Ping Pong ball circus spectacular. Acrobats! Tightrope Walkers! Clowns! Wild Animals! All 100 percent authentic Ping Pong Ball performers, guaranteed to glow in the dark. We promise you will never look at table tennis the same way again.
- Stephen Shaskan (author) – 11:15 a.m.–noon. A dog is a dog, right? Not so fast. Debut author-illustrator Stephen Shaskan will perform his lively picture book that will keep youngsters guessing (and giggling) from beginning to end. A book signing follows. Book sales on-site.
In the Meeting Room
- Kindermusik of the Valley – 9:45–10:30 a.m. Explore music and movement with your child through this workshop presented by Kindermusik of the Valley. Space is limited.
- Blues for Kids – 11:15 a.m.–12:15 p.m. Get a free harmonica and learn to play the blues. Presented and sponsored by the Minnesota Blues Society. Space is limited.
- Zumbatomics – 12:45–1:30 p.m. A Zumba class just for kids that incorporates specially-choreographed, kid-friendly routines to music kids love. Increase focus and self-confidence while enhancing coordination. Join this high-energy dance party for kids.
In the Rehearsal Room
- MacPhail Center for Music – 9:45–10:30 a.m. Explore the magic of music and play through hands-on activities with MacPhail’s early childhood music specialists. Space is limited.
- Beat Boxing with SteppingStone Theatre – 11:15 a.m.–12:15 p.m. Work with a professional beat box expert to transform your voice into drums, trumpets, cymbals and violins to create your own musical composition. Space is limited.
- Dance–Twirl Minnesota Baton Twirling – 12:45–1:30 p.m. National Champion advanced baton twirling group, Dance-Twirl Minnesota, performs their award-winning routine.
In the VIP Suite
- ArtStart Crafts – 9:30 a.m.–1:30 p.m. Drop in to create colorful instruments using tubes, cones, hoses, and pie pans. Then, play along to the music performed on the main stage.
In the 2nd Floor Reception Area (9:30 a.m.– 12:30 p.m.)
- Schmitt Music Instrument Petting Zoo – Children can look at and try a variety of instruments.
- Appearances by Skippyjon Jones & Clifford the Big Red Dog
- Know Your Money: Understanding Money. Learn where money comes from and how we use it through games and activities. Play a needs and wants game or a money toss game, make a money values shield or decorate a money pocket.
Tags: ArtStart, Bill the Juggler, Blues for Kids, Burnsville Performing Arts Center, Clementown, Dakota County Library, Dance-Twirl Minnesota, Eric Litwin, Kindermusik, Laura Doherty Band, MacPhail Center for Music, Okee Dokee Brothers, Schmitt Music, Stephen Shaskan, Stepping Stone Theatre, The Amazing Gnip Gnop Circus, Zumbatomics