St. Paul is bringing back its Nature Geocache program for the summer of 2012. Like last year, the program will feature a different park each month from May through October. GPS coordinates for a new site will be posted monthly on the City of Saint Paul’s Natural Resources Website. This year University of Minnesota Forestry Club is the sponsor.
How to Participate:
On the first day of each month a new GPS coordinate will be posted that will lead you to a Regional Park in Saint Paul.
- You can locate the park by typing in the GPS coordinates on Google Maps
- Once at the park you will need a GPS unit to find the correct spot. Caches may or may not be near a trail. Dress appropriately to go off trail and into the woods (long pants, sturdy boots/shoes, water bottle, etc.) The only tools you will need are a pencil and paper to record proof of your visit.
- After you have arrived at the GPS coordinates, look for blue flagging that will indicate you are near the cache. Hunt to find the cache.
- Each cache will have a different activity for you to complete. All materials needed to complete the forestry activity will be contained in an old ammo can. Please return all materials to the can for the next participants.
- Once you have completed the task you can explore the park, hike the trails and enjoy your day.
- When you return home – log onto this site and fill out the Nature Geocache Form (one entry per person ages 4 years and older). You will need to enter the results of your task for that month (could be taking a tree diameter, learning how to use a clinometer, learning how to identify a tree, etc) and you will then be entered to win a small monthly prize from the University of Minnesota Forestry Program!
- Check back at the beginning of the following month to see if you are the winner, to get a new set of coordinates and to learn more about forestry, trees and your regional parks.
- The final drawing will be for a Special Surprise Grand Prize!
- You will receive one grand prize drawing entry for each month you participated. Example: if you sent in three entries over the six months your name will be entered in the grand prize drawing three times. If you participate and enter each month you will have six chances to win the grand prize.
- The final monthly drawing and Grand Prize winners will be announced on the website November 1st, 2012.
Claiming Your Prize: Participants Must Check the Website to see if they are a winner. If your name is drawn for a monthly prize contact Kelley Dinsmore, Education Coordinator at 651-632-2455 to claim your prize and for instructions on picking up the monthly prize. Grand Prize Winner Must Pick Up the Grand Prize in Person.
Tags: City of Saint Paul’s Natural Resources Website, City of St. Paul, Department of Forest Resources, Free Family Fun, Minnesota, Nature Geocache, St. Paul, Twin Cities, University of Minnesota Forestry Club